Creativity and STE(A)M approach reducing the gender gap from the primary school
Partners in “IN2STEAM: Inspiring Next Generation of Girls through Inclusive STE(A)M Learning in Primary Education” attended the 2nd online meeting (July 21th, 2020) to discuss the last results from the “IO1 – Report on the Value of STE(A)M in Girls’ Education” and the development of online training modules OER for teachers dealing with STEM in primary education.
The main aim of the IN2STEAM project is to enhance innovative and gender inclusive educational approaches that integrates STE(A)M learning (applying A= art and design principles to science) especially for female students, by reducing the gender gap in scientific career.
For that purpose, partners will analyse how arts combines with STEM and how STEM can be also based on the artistic creative process and idea. The creative process is therefore linked to the development of both cognitive skills (such as critical thinking) and social skills (including interpersonal skills, the so-called “soft skills”). To conclude, we will provide some tips and recommendations for teachers on how to manage their classroom orchestration and creating dynamic learning environments by combining both traditional and STE(A)M approaches. All training materials for teachers will be available through online educational resources, OER e-platform which will be part of the “IO2 – Training Curriculum in STE(A)M learning and gender sensitive practices”.
The OER will be structured in 6 different modules:
- Introduction to STE(A)M education – pedagogical aspects concerning gender disparities that impact on girl’s engagement in scientific subjects
- Sharing of experiences and best practices addressing gender aspects in science education through innovative practices
- Cross-sectorial learning approaches to support interdisciplinary collaboration between arts and scientific subjects and increase the motivation and participation of young girls
- Designing lessons using STE(A)M principles and STE(A)M skills and concepts in classroom practices
- Using open resources, technology & innovative design to create motivating & inspiring STE(A)M learning experiences
- STE(A)M Assessment
To know more about the OER and exploring our training modules, visit our website: https://in2steam.eu/